Skip to main content

Atomic Blonde Review

 Certificate: 15
Running time: 115 minutes 
Directed by: David Leitch.

What's it about: MI6 agent Lorraine Broughton is sent to Cold War Berlin, to recover a priceless dossier and investigate a fellow agent's murder.

The verdict: Sometimes you go to see a film, and you absolutely love it. That is how I felt about Atomic Blonde. 

Charlize Theron is cool as hell as MI6 agent Lorraine Broughton. She is perfectly cast - relentlessly brutal in some scenes, and chillingly unmoved in others. She pulls off the action sequences brilliantly, and is certainly proving again, as in Mad Max: Fury Road, that she is a convincing action star. Plus she looks awesomely stylish throughout. The supporting cast is great too, James McAvoy in particular is highly entertaining as spy David Percival.

The overall visuals of Atomic Blonde are great - really stylish and engaging. It feels like you're watching a comic book thriller, but it also feels like you're watching a tense, spy film. The titles coming up on screen were done in a unique way, and the camerawork was distinctive. The action sequences are brilliant, and give the impression of being done in one take (although they are actually multiple shots cut together).  And the eighties soundtrack is awesome. All these aspects contribute to making Atomic Blonde a really fun, and captivating watch.

For me, I didn't feel as though there were any negatives that spoilt my enjoyment of the film. Other reviews have criticised the over the top style, and lack of character development. But as I didn't feel like that when I was watching it, I feel as though it would be disingenuous to say I agree with those points.

Overall, I throughly enjoyed Atomic Blonde. I was utterly engaged throughout, and as soon as it had finished, I wanted to watch it again. I left the cinema with a massive smile, and I think Atomic Blonde will definitely be a strong contender for my favourite film of the year.

Should you watch this film? Absolutely! Atomic Blonde is a fun and stylish film, that looks awesome on the big screen. 

Comments