Skip to main content

Avengers: Infinity War Review


Certificate: 12A
Running time: 149 minutes 
Directed by: Anthony Russo and Joe Russo.

What’s it about: The Avengers unite to battle their greatest enemy yet - the evil Thanos who is on a mission to collect all six Infinity stones. The fate of the entire planet, and existence itself, lies in the hands of the Avengers as everything they have ever fought for has led up to this moment. 

The verdict: Firstly I will be writing this review with the pre-assumption that anyone going to see Infinity War is already familiar with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and is probably a fan of the films. If you’re not, then what have you been doing with your life?! Jokes aside, if you are looking to get into the MCU, then this is definitely not the film to start with.

In order not to risk the wrath of Thanos himself who demands our silence, this review shall be reasonably short and sweet so as to avoid even the smallest of spoilers. So, what were my initial thoughts on Infinity War?

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! I was throughly engaged throughout, on the edge of my seat in parts, and I thought it was a visual treat for the eyes. The action was brilliant and certain set pieces were stunning. Marvel has definitely solved its villain problem with Thanos being possibly one of the most well rounded villains of all time, and the threat throughout felt sky high.

Performances were great all round, and I think everyone will enjoy seeing their favourite characters interacting. The inclusion of the Guardians of the Galaxy raised the film to another level for me, and scenes including them were some of the high points of the film. This leads on to another high point for me which was the humour. There are lots of great one liners and funny moments, and I found myself laughing aloud numerous times. This use of humour is great with the mix of threat and other more serious aspects, and I think the film balanced the differing tones really well.

On the flip side, Infinity War could be accused of being no more than a series of elaborate set pieces as the film jumps from one battle to another. There are some great character moments, but other characters feel very under-utilised and the focus felt like it was more on the action than on dialogue. Of course this is always the risk in an ensemble film with so many characters. However, I think Infinity War definitely felt like part one of something rather than a fully fleshed out film. Also as mentioned before, this isn’t really a film for the uninitiated, which obviously didn’t affect my viewing of it but other people may feel that aspect is a negative.

Truth be told though, none of the above issues really affected my enjoyment of the film. I’m really looking forward to Part two, and I will eagerly await its release. I think the two parts will need to be put together to judge overall where Infinity War will sit amongst other superhero films, but for now I will cautiously say that it’s one of my favourite superhero films of all time. 

Should you watch this film? YES! Infinity War feels like the culmination of its eighteen predecessors and it is a must watch for Marvel fans. It definitely has to be seen on the big screen. 

Comments