Skip to main content

A Star is Born Review

Certificate: 15
Running time: 135 minutes 
Directed by: Bradley Cooper.


What’s it about: Seasoned musician Jackson Maine helps struggling singer Ally launch her music career. But as they fall in love and Ally’s music career takes off, Jackson is fighting an ongoing battle with his personal demons.

The verdict: I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that it wasn’t until after seeing this film and reading about it that I realised that A Star is Born (2018) is actually the second remake of the original film. But embarrassment aside, I am glad that I knew nothing about the story going into it. I think it was so much more impactful that way. So if you’re like me and not familiar with the 1937 or 1976 version, then don’t read or research anything about this film before you see it.

A Star is Born marks the directorial debut for Bradley Cooper and the film debut for Lady Gaga. And I would say that it is a stunning debut for both of them. Firstly Cooper’s direction shows that he definitely has skill as a filmmaker and it’ll be great to see what his next directing project is. And Lady Gaga actually kind of shocked me. At first I was quite aware of her performance, obviously because being more familiar with her as her Lady Gaga personna, I think I was almost expecting her to be a bit subpar. But she was amazing. Cooper was also amazing, and together they had brilliant chemistry. They both put in powerhouse performances, and I would not be at all surprised if they end up with Oscar nominations.

I also really liked the cinematography. In some parts it felt quite raw, the camera was more fluid and free. And in other parts it felt really thought out and deliberate. There are shots that feel really well composed and meaningful. And the overall look of the film is constant throughout - and it is both engaging and visually appealing.

As this is a film about music, it only makes sense to mention the soundtrack and score. And this is another way in which A Star is Born shines. In particular, the song ‘Shallow’ performed by Copper and Lady Gaga will get into your head, and possibly your heart. The soundtrack elevates the film and the songs performed are all great.

Moving away from the more technical aspects of the film, what I loved most about A Star is Born is how it made me feel. A Star is Born got right under my skin in a way that shocked me. Throughout the first act I was enjoying the film and I certainly thought it was good, but it wasn’t blowing my mind in any particular way. But then something shifted and I realised that I was so incredibly invested in the story and the characters. I was rooting for Jackson and Ally with every fibre of my being. This film got to me so much that I think I actually felt my heart break at some point, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I bawled my eyes out! And with my above feelings in mind, no amount of flaws or technical aspects mattered anymore. If a film can make me feel like A Star is Born made me feel, then wow. Adding in the impact of the final shot, and it’s safe to say that A Star is Born is a film that I won’t soon forget.

Should you watch this film? Yes! A beautiful debut film that deserves to be watched on the big screen.

Comments