Skip to main content

Ralph Breaks the Internet Review


Certificate: PG
Running time: 112 minutes 
Directed by: Rich Moore and Phil Johnston.

What’s it about: The sequel to 2012’s Wreck It Ralph sees Ralph and Vanellope risk it all by travelling to the World Wide Web in search of a replacement part that will save Vanellope’s video game ‘Sugar Rush.’

The verdict: I loved Wreck It Ralph so I was really looking forward to seeing this sequel. And for me, Ralph Breaks the Internet definitely didn’t disappoint. Ralph Breaks the Internet is a colourful, fun and really watchable film and fans of the previous film will love it. 

The film reunites all the previous film’s characters and as before, the cast is great. The story feels really current and relevant but what I really liked was how much this is a film about friendship. It’s about having a best friend and how special that relationship is. It also explores how hard it can be to let someone go and how it’s important not to let friendships turn toxic. In this way I felt that the film had a good, worthwhile message as well as being highly enjoyable. 

The film is packed full of Easter eggs which makes it endlessly engaging and I am already looking forward to watching it again to look for the ones that I missed. There are some great in jokes and let’s just say that Vanellope meeting the Disney Princesses is absolutely brilliant and so inspired. This meeting leads to some awesome scenes. 

For me there weren’t any major negatives that impacted my enjoyment of the film. My only thought was that the film was probably slightly too long. However, I do think that there will be a large number of people that will be turned off by the brand names and product placement. Obviously given  the storyline there are lots of recognisable names and companies - Google, Amazon, eBay, Twitter
 etc. This didn’t bother me at all, I actually liked it because it felt more relatable and it was quite fun spotting the different brands. But I know how this can bother other people. There is no escaping it - you will see a lot of branding.

The only other possible downside is that Ralph Breaks the Internet does feel like a sequel, so if you haven’t seen the first film or are not a fan of the first film then I’m not sure how well this will play to you. But overall, I throughly enjoyed Ralph Breaks the Internet.

Should you watch this film? Yes. Ralph Breaks the Internet looks great on the big screen. It’s a film that will appeal to lots of people. And if you can - go see it with your best friend as it’s a film that should really be watched with your bestie. Don’t forget to stay until the very end, there’s more than one post credits scene! 

Comments