Skip to main content

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery Review

 

Certificate: 12A

Running time: 139 minutes

Starring: Daniel Craig, Edward Norton, Kate Hudson, Dave Bautista, Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr, Jessica Henwick

Directed by: Rian Johnson

The story: World class detective Benoit Blanc returns to solve another mystery, this time travelling to the Greek island of a billionaire tech mogul.

The verdict: I saw Knives Out in one of the most stony faced screenings I’d ever been in. I was the only person who laughed aloud and seemed engaged in the film, and as you can imagine it did rather affect my enjoyment of it. Subsequent rewatches proved to me that the film was just as great as I’d first thought. However, as I went into my screening of Glass Onion, I couldn’t help but be apprehensive that this might again turn out to be another impassive audience. In fact the complete opposite occurred and even in our small screening, laughter filled the theatre throughout.

This time the action brings Benoit Blanc to the sun-drenched climes of Greece. As with the autumnal tones of Knives Out, the setting plays a pivotal part in the film’s visuals. 

The cast of characters was great and there were satirical elements to all of them which added to the fun. Daniel Craig was even better this time and I can really see Benoit Blanc in a whole slew of films and becoming a long term favourite detective. The rest of the cast was great too and overall this was a brilliant ensemble cast. There are also some excellent cameos and one in particular almost had me cheering.

As the title suggests, the mystery at the centre of the film has layers to it and whilst I found this mystery easier to solve than the previous film’s, it wasn’t to the film’s detriment and I still enjoyed watching it all unfold.

Glass Onion is a thoroughly enjoyable and engaging film throughout with sharp wit and cheekily observed satire. I think that, as with Knives Out, it will prove even better with subsequent rewatches and I’m really looking forward to seeing it again. Long live Benoit Blanc! 

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Comments