Skip to main content

Cocaine Bear Review

 

Certificate: 15

Running time: 95 minutes 

Starring: Keri Russell, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Alden Ehrenreich, Ray Liotta, Margo Martindale, Brooklyn Prince, Christian Convery

Directed by: Elizabeth Banks

The story: When a black bear ingests a whole load of cocaine, it goes on a murderous rampage through the forest.

The verdict: I have tried to start this review on a serious note several times and each time have ended up laughing. Whilst I could attempt to attribute some kind of poignancy and importance to this film or find some kind of metaphorical meaning within all the insanity of it all - truthfully that would be slightly disingenuous. Make no mistake, this film is exactly what it says on the tin. And guess what? It’s brilliant.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, when I say ‘brilliant,’ I don’t mean that it’s awards worthy. Rather, it’s arguably the most fun I’ve had at the cinema so far this year. Cocaine Bear is like an adrenaline shot of fun. Of course it’s silly and implausible and every other synonym you can think of for those words. But it’s also funny and entertaining and gloriously gory.

I really liked all the characters and the performances. Sometimes in these types of films, the characters are just as stupid as the scenarios and you end up rooting for them to get eaten by a shark/dinosaur/bear. However, this wasn’t the case in Cocaine Bear and the motley crew of forest dwellers all provided entertainment in different ways. I even enjoyed the bear’s performance!

Cocaine Bear’s ninety-five minutes running time also works in its favour and, much like the bear, it bounds along. This also means it doesn’t outstay its welcome.

Overall, this film was a great surprise for me. I went in expecting to spend more time rolling my eyes than anything else and came out with a massive grin on my face. I don’t endorse drugs but I do endorse Cocaine Bear!

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Comments