Skip to main content

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Review


Certificate: 12A

Running time: 150 minutes 

Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Pom Klementieff

Directed by: James Gunn

The story: The guardians must rally to defend the universe once more and this time one of their own is at stake, but could this be one mission too many?

The verdict: To say I like the Guardians of the Galaxy would be akin to saying that Peter Quill kind of likes music. I love the Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean I really love them. These are characters that have captured my heart and my mind and I could go on adventures with them forever. So with that in mind, I went into this film with a heavy heart - I was not ready to say goodbye.

Like the previous two instalments before it, Volume 3 is bright, bold and packed full of action. Of course it’s CGI-tastic but that’s the MCU - if you don’t know that by now then I’m afraid you’re in the wrong place. I loved all the visuals and it was great to return to Knowhere in particular (pun sort of intended).

Speaking of Volume 1 and Volume 2, this instalment has all the Guardians’ quirks that audiences love. There are plenty of jokes, the camaraderie shines through and the soundtrack is killer. I can’t fault any performance or character and I even found myself loving certain characters that I’d only liked before - for example Nebula who is really great in this. Villain wise, this might feature my most hated MCU villain of all time. I don’t usually root for violence but I was urging the Guardians to make the kill shot!

One strong difference from the previous two films however is how emotional this instalment is. This film takes a look into one of the team’s past and oh boy! All I can say is bring tissues and plenty of them! Without saying too much, I also think this will be a particularly tough watch for animal lovers. Aside from that aspect, it is just so bittersweet that this is the final time audiences will see the Guardians. I know that I’ll really miss them.

Is this the best Guardians’ film? Maybe, maybe not. Is the film perfect? No, it isn’t. But the characters and what they mean to audiences cannot be denied. And this is a beautiful, poignant ending to their story even if it hurts. How could I give this anything but five stars?

*stay for two awesome post credit scenes*

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Comments