Skip to main content

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny Review

 

Certificate: 12A

Running time: 154 minutes 

Starring: Harrison Ford, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Mads Mikkelsen, Toby Jones, Boyd Holbrook, Ethann Isidore

Directed by: James Mangold

The story: Indiana Jones is all set to retire quietly, when he is pulled back into a race against time to retrieve a legendary artefact that could alter the very course of history.

The verdict: The Indiana Jones films definitely rank up there as amongst one of my favourite franchises of all time. The original trilogy were some of the films that ignited my passion for film in the first place, so suffice to say I had a vested interest in this final instalment.

The opening sequence throws the audience straight into the action. This definitely sets the tone for the entire film as The Dial of Destiny is jam packed with action, which mostly consists of a myriad of different chases. From a car to a plane, from a tuk tuk to a horse - there is nary a form of transport that Indy won’t utilise. 

The film introduces us to a few new characters, as well as reintroducing us to some old faces. I particularly liked that Indy found himself with another young kid tagging along for the adventure which felt like an homage to Short Round. I also enjoyed Mads Mikkelsen’s villainous turn. However, it is Harrison Ford that steals the show and certainly for me, no one else mattered as much as the man himself. 

I was thoroughly engaged throughout the film’s (reasonably hefty) running time and I enjoyed myself immensely. Dial of Destiny looks great on the big screen and the opening sequence is probably one of my favourite opening sequences of the year so far. 

In spite of how much I enjoyed the film, I do think that it will prove pretty divisive - not only upon its release but in years to come too. Similarly to the Kingdom of Crystal Skull, there will be many that feel that this film is completely unnecessary and there will also be those who feel that Dial of Destiny goes a step too far in its final act. The franchise has always had a fantastical element to it, but this instalment takes that element and goes full steam ahead. Audiences will either embrace this as wonderfully barmy or roll their eyes in frustration. Thankfully, I found myself in the former category. 

Another element of the film that will likely prove divisive is the emotional undercurrent that finds our hero at odds with his life. There are still some classic one liners and a few laughs to be had, but there has been tragedy in Indy’s life and thus there is an aspect of sobriety that audiences wouldn’t usually expect in an Indiana Jones’ film. I understood why this was done even if I’m not sure I completely agreed with it. It did seem a little cruel for the character.

But for me, my main issue with Dial of Destiny really just boiled down to one point - which was that it didn’t match up to the original trilogy. However, I think expecting James Mangold to emulate Steven Spielberg’s cinematic auteurism is probably a tad unfair and so whilst this is a complaint, it is one that can be taken with a grain of salt.

Going into this film, and especially as an Indiana Jones fan, I had certain hopes. I wanted Indy to face the Nazis again, I wanted action and adventure, and I wanted him to have a fitting ending. For me, all those hopes were met. And along with finding the film an overall great cinema trip, and grinning maniacally whenever I heard the theme music, I think that merits it a four star rating. Whether that rating increases or decreases with repeat viewings remains to be seen, but for now - Indy, it’s been a pleasure.

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Comments