Skip to main content

Jackie Review


Certificate: 15
Running time: 99 minutes 
Directed by: Pablo Larrain.

What's it about? Jackie follows the life of iconic First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, in the days following the assassination of her husband President John F. Kennedy.

The verdict: Natalie Portman has earnt an Oscar nomination for her portrayal of Jackie Kennedy, and you can see why when you watch this film. It's a showcase for Portman, and she brilliantly captures Jackie Kennedy's breathy unique accent.

Jackie is set in two time periods, the first is exactly one week after the assassination of JFK and this is used as the 'present.' The second is flashbacks to both before the assassination, and in the few days afterwards. Jackie Kennedy's interview with a journalist is used as a framing device for the whole film, as she tells the story in her own words. This use of time is cleverly done, however it meant that inevitably you end up comparing the two time periods. The flashbacks felt stronger, they had more depth and this is where the main story was unfolding.

The pacing of the film felt slightly too slow for me. Some parts were fascinating, yet in others my mind started to wonder and I had to drag my attention back to the screen. The attention to detail is very good - the sets and costumes are fantastic and the cast are very strong. Yet something about this film didn't fully engage me. It's a very good biopic, and I did feel as though I'd learnt a lot more about Jackie Kennedy as a person rather than just a public figure. However it felt lengthy and at times slightly self indulgent.

Overall I did enjoy it, but I felt as though it was lacking something to take it to the next level. I think those with an interest in the Kennedys and that time period would get a lot more out of it.

Should you watch this film? Yes. It's worth going to see, just to see Natalie Portman give another potentially Oscar winning performance. 

Comments