Skip to main content

Spider-Man: Homecoming Review


Certificate: 12A
Running time: 133 minutes 
Directed by: Jon Watts.

What's it about: After the events of Captain America: Civil War, Peter Parker, with the help of his mentor Tony Stark, tries to balance his life as an ordinary high school student while fighting crime as his superhero alter ego Spider-Man.

The verdict: I think I was perhaps one of the very few people who didn't love Spider-Man's cameo appearance in Captain America: Civil War. This was purely because, I hated how he was in the trailer for the film. This ruined what could have possibly been one of the greatest, and biggest surprise moments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That was a great opportunity lost. However, that cameo gave us a taste of Tom Holland's Spider-Man and it also set up a good starting point for Spider-Man: Homecoming, as that is where the events of the film unfold from.

Firstly, I really liked the plot. In this film, we are dealing with a restless fifteen year old Peter Parker, who is desperate to be called up to join The Avengers. Meanwhile, Adrian Toomes and his salvage company, who were driven out of business by Tony Stark's U.S Department of Damage Control, use alien technology that they have scavenged to make weapons to sell on the black market. The introduction of Damage Control to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the use of a 'normal' blue collar worker who just wants to make money, as the villain, felt fresh and interesting. It was also really refreshing that this film was not an origin story. It feels like everyone knows the Spider-Man origin story now, and so by bypassing that, we could get straight into the story of this film.

The cast were strong, and after originally being slightly wary of Tom Holland's casting as Spider-Man, I think he did really well. He brings a boyish charm, and hopeful, endearing quality to the role. Michael Keaton is also good, as the villain Vulture. It's rare to get a villain who is almost better when he is unmasked. The supporting cast of Peter's classmates are fun and well cast, with Zendaya particularly standing out.

What I enjoyed most about the film, was the the tone and playfulness of it. Spider-Man: Homecoming is lighthearted, fun and it doesn't take itself too seriously. If you're looking for a dark superhero film, then this is definitely not the one for you. Personally, I like my superhero films on the lighter side and I really liked some of the humour and visuals used, which overall made the film easy and fun to watch. I was also incredibly impressed by a third act reveal, that I hadn't guessed. Another great aspect to point out is the score and soundtrack, which fit the film perfectly. And finally, as you would expect, there are plenty of easter eggs to enjoy, and also a particularly brilliant cameo.

The film is not flawless though, and even though I really enjoyed it, there were some aspects that I felt could have been stronger. I was slightly disappointed in the character of Aunt May. She has been reinvented as 'the hot aunt,' and to be honest that didn't feel quite right to me. Also, considering she is played by Oscar winning actress Maria Tomei, she felt criminally underused. Although I must admit, she does have one particularly great line. In general, the female characters did feel weaker, and underused. But there is potential for that to change, in the sequel. Another thing to note, is that the film has a distinct teenage vibe, which some viewers may find a bit irreverent. I quite liked this aspect of it as I felt it added to the character of the film, but it is worth noting for those who may not realise, that much of the focus is on Peter Parker trying to navigate school whilst being a superhero.

Overall though, I feel that Spider-Man: Homecoming is a triumph. A second reboot was always going to be tricky, but it has managed to be both original, and familiar. The film fits in well with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it doesn't get bogged down in franchise building - it is a great addition to the timeline without adding additional headaches and drama. Plus it has one of my favourite post credits scenes yet, which had me heartily chuckling as I left the cinema. On a final note, I would strongly recommend not reading up on any of the characters or story beforehand. The film works best if you let it play out, and enjoy the surprises as they come.

Should you watch this film? Yes! This film is a must see for Marvel fans, and is definitely one to watch on the big screen.

Comments