Skip to main content

Thor: Ragnarok Review

Certificate: 12A
Running time: 130 minutes 
Directed by: Taika Waititi.

What’s it about: The third Thor film, and the seventeenth instalment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Thor: Ragnarok finds Thor in a race against time to save Asgard from the Goddess of Death, and prevent the coming Ragnarok. 

The verdict: I have always liked my superhero films on the lighter side, and Thor: Ragnarok definitely fits into this category. The first trailer that was released for Thor: Ragnarok is one of my favourite trailers of the year so far, if not the favourite - I really liked the lighter tone they were going for. Add in being a big Marvel fan anyway, and suffice to say - my expectations for Thor: Ragnarok were high. And fortunately, I was not disappointed.

The cast is great, and I liked the chemistry between the characters. Cate Blanchett makes a good villain and although she is hamming it up slightly at times, it doesn’t matter at all because it fits with the playful tone of the film. I thought Chris Hemsworth was brilliant. He has always embodied Thor perfectly anyway, but this instalment just hammers home (pun intended) that no one else could play Thor. And of course Tom Hiddleston as Loki, who incidentally is my favourite Marvel villain, is brilliant as well - Loki always adds an extra pizzazz to every scene he is in.

What struck me most about this film was the comedy element. Past Marvel films have definitely touched on comedic elements, and provided a few laugh out loud moments. However, Thor: Ragnarok is definitely the funniest Marvel film to date. I laughed out loud so many times I lost count. Sure the jokes are not the most sophisticated, but they are really funny. I think the writing should definitely be praised in that aspect.

Another stand out aspect was the score and soundtrack. There was a distinctive eighties feel about the music. This worked really well with the visuals, which were bright, colourful and fun. Also the use of The Immigrant Song by Led Zepplin was an inspired choice. Again, it fits really well with the tone and visuals of the film. Thor: Ragnarok is a film full of colour and is heavy on the CGI action, but it just seems to work. It is highly engaging throughout, and there are no parts which drag or are boring.

I am struggling to find any negatives in regards to the film, because I honestly enjoyed it so much. To berate it in any way feels slightly disingenuous. Since seeing it, I have seen some reviews which have criticised the lack of character growth and the lack of any real high stakes or jeopardy in regards to the Ragnarok aspect. I can see a valid argument being made in regards to those points. However, because Avengers: Infinity War looks set to be quite dark and may even see the death of an Avenger, I think that there wasn’t necessarily a lot of character growth and high stakes tension needed. Thor: Ragnarok is the lighthearted film before the storm, and it is a worthy addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

Overall, I loved every minute of watching Thor: Ragnarok. It is a fun, laugh out loud, and colourful film. Plus on a side note, it has one of the best cameos I’ve ever seen in any film, not just a Marvel film! 


Should you watch this film? Absolutely yes! Even more fun than Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok is a must watch.


Comments