Skip to main content

1917 Review



Certificate: 15

Running time: 118 minutes 

Starring: George Mackay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Benedict Cumberbatch 

Directed by: Sam Mendes


The story: Two soldiers are tasked with an important mission to deliver a message to call off an impending attack.

The verdict: I feel that this may be one of my shortest reviews ever, because simply put - 1917 is stunning. As the credits rolled, I felt myself welling up and it took me several minutes to compose myself. That was in part due to the fact that 1917 packs an emotional punch, but more than that it was a feeling of being completely overwhelmed by what I’d just experienced. And possibly therein lies the secret of what makes 1917 so incredible - it doesn’t just feel like a film you watch, it feels like a film you experience. You feel like you’re crouched down in the muddy trenches, you feel the fear of being shot at, you feel the urgency of the mission - you feel everything the characters feel. 

This immersive and compelling experience is of course due in large part to Roger Deakin’s breathtaking cinematography. Much has been made of this being a one shot film, and the decision to use that effect has allowed the audience to feel as though they are caught up in the action as well - we almost feel as though we are the third party on the mission with Lance Corporal Will Schofield and Lance Corporal Tom Blake, who are played by George Mackay and Dean-Charles Chapman respectively. 

Speaking of these actors, they are both fantastic in this as are all the supporting cast. However, a special mention must go to Mackay. I’ve loved him in everything he’s been in and 1917 is no different. The filming process must have been pretty gruelling and his performance is so engaging and emotive. He definitely deserves to be recognised this awards season and I sincerely hope that he is.

1917 is one of those rare films that leaves an audience in stunned silence. Before the film started, there was lots of rustling and whispering. But as soon as it started, a hush fell over the audience and it felt as though no one dared breathe, no one dared move a muscle. We were all completely engaged and immersed in what was unfolding - the camaraderie between the soldiers became a camaraderie between the audience. 

I feel as though there should be a flip side to all this, something that let the film down or was disappointing. But I honestly can’t think of anything that I would have changed. I hesitate to call any film flawless but giving this incredible, immersive, emotional and breathtaking film five stars is a no brainer for me. 

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Comments