Skip to main content

A Quiet Place Part II Review

 


Certificate: 15

Running time: 97 minutes 

Starring: Emily Blunt, John Krasinki, Cillian Murphy, Millicent Simmonds, Noah Jupe 

Directed by: John Krasinki

The story: The Abbott family continues their fight for survival in silence, this time discovering that the deadly creatures are not the only dangers lurking beyond the sand path. 

The verdict: I thoroughly enjoyed A Quiet Place and when a sequel was announced, I admit that I was amongst those who bemoaned it - “A sequel won’t be any good, it’ll just ruin it!” I proclaimed. Well, I’m more than happy to admit when I’m wrong and I was most definitely wrong about that. 

Firstly, when looking at the film purely on its credentials as a sequel then I think A Quiet Place Part II is one of the stronger horror sequels I’ve seen. Not only does it expand the A Quiet Place universe, it also develops the characters and their relationships. I particularly enjoyed seeing the flashbacks and the laying of Easter eggs for a potential third film. A Quiet Place went from being a film that I saw very much as a stand-alone to now being a film that I’d love to see a whole franchise of. 

A Quiet Place Part II was a thoroughly engaging watch, I was enthralled throughout and often on the edge of my seat. There wasn’t one moment where the film fell flat or any scenes that were boring or stagnant. I also jumped several times, and the jumps were not always in the obvious places which made it a fun watch as well as a tense one. 

Another aspect of the film that I was really impressed by was the performances. Millicent Simmonds shows that she has the skills to be a great lead, Noah Jupe does some brilliant work, Cillian Murphy is a fantastic addition, and Emily Blunt was outstanding. I found Blunt’s performance in particular really captivating and completely bought into everything she was feeling as a mother desperate to protect her children. 

I absolutely love the effect that these films have on audiences. Before the film started, people were chatting and rustling popcorn etc. But as soon as the film started, a hush came over the audience, almost as if everyone was in the film itself and scared to make a sound. I will be forever impressed with how John Krasinki manipulated audiences into a silent reverence.

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and a half.

Comments