Skip to main content

Best Films of 2018 so far




*Before the list commences, a quick note as to my methodology for choosing these films. This list is chosen from films released theatrically in the U.K between the 1st of January 2018 and the 1st of July 2018, and is based on one viewing of the film. Although some of the films have been chosen because of their filmmaking merits, primarily this list is based on my overall enjoyment whilst watching the film. Please feel free to comment and let me know which films you have enjoyed so far this year.*




10.) Unsane (15) Directed by Steven Soderbergh

Unsane snuck into the number ten spot due to two factors. Firstly it has a great performance from its lead actor Claire Foy. She carries the film and is in almost every single shot, giving a great and convincing performance. And secondly the fact that it was shot entirely on an iPhone. This may sound like a gimmick and yes it does look like it was filmed on a phone, which admittedly does feel slightly jarring at first. But in a crowded film market, Unsane really stands out visually and definitely deserves recognition as a clever piece of filmmaking.



9.) Game Night (15) Directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein

Being a fan of a game night myself, I was really looking forward to seeing this film. And it didn't disappoint. A really fun, entertaining, and funny film, Game Night is such an easy watch and went down a storm in the cinema. Not only that, but the performances and script are also really good and there are a couple of stand out shots and sequences. There is great chemistry between Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams, and there are even a few twists and turns in the film which keeps it interesting and engaging throughout. It might not win any awards but when a film is this enjoyable, who cares?


8.) Sicario 2: Soldado (15) Directed by Stefano Sollima)

The general consensus for this film seems to be that it is a pale imitation of its predecessor and it hasn't gone down overly well with critics. Having only seen Sicario once, and that was a good few years ago, I went with an open mind and no major expectations for Sicario 2. And I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Sicario 2 is dark and gritty and even with its long running time, it is engaging throughout. It is very grim and brutal at times and so it definitely won't appeal to everyone. But it is a stylish, dynamic, and tense thriller that had me glued to the screen. And the score is absolutely excellent, it really adds to the uneasy feeling of the film. I wouldn't have called myself a fan of the Sicario film series before, but Sicario 2 has certainly piqued my interest and I will look forward to seeing what they do with Sicario 3.


7.) I, Tonya (15) Directed by Craig Gillespie

Sports films are a genre in their own right now and a lot of them do tend to follow a similar format. Step in (skate in) I, Tonya which feels like a unique and brilliant addition to the genre. It's dark, it's funny, and it features great performances by all of its cast. Allison Janney won an Oscar for her role but Margot Robbie and Sebastian Stan also turn in standout performances. I, Tonya is set in the 70's, 80's and 90's and so has a wonderful nostalgic feel and the cinematography supports this look and feel. And although the film deals with some very serious issues and real life events, it doesn't feel overly tragic or depressing - more it's a fascinating glimpse into the darker side of human nature. I, Tonya is also unique in that it breaks the fourth wall. Overall I, Tonya is an excellently dark and compelling biopic that is highly recommended.



 6.) Isle of Dogs (PG) Directed by Wes Anderson

I absolutely loved this film when I saw it at the cinema. It has so many things going for it - the stop animation is stunning, the dialogue is witty and droll, and the colour palette is warm and draws you in instantly. But the thing I loved most about Isle of Dogs is that it is so incredibly different to everything else that is being released currently. It's unique, it's quirky and it's insanely original. It can definitely be described as strange and will probably be an acquired taste. But Isle of Dogs undeniably falls into the category of filmmakers making their own art and I can't help but appreciate and admire that.


 5.) Black Panther (12A) Directed by Ryan Coogler

I am a massive Marvel fan and eagerly await each new one. Black Panther in particular had been highly anticipated by audiences and its safe to say that it didn't disappoint. Black Panther is a completely self contained Marvel film and it feels refreshing and original. It has its own strong identity, excellent visuals, strong characterisation, and an awesome soundtrack. And as a result, it is highly entertaining, watchable and enjoyable. And possibly one of the best Marvel films to date.

4.) All the Money in the World (15) Directed by Ridley Scott

Although I really like a couple of his films, I must admit that I have never really been the biggest fan of Ridley Scott. All the Money in the World had also been the subject of controversy in light of the Kevin Spacey scandal with Christopher Plummer stepping in and re-filming all of Spacey's scenes, and I was curious to see if that had had a jarring effect on the film. With all that being said, I had no expectations of the film, in fact I was expecting to dislike it. But All the Money in the World really surprised me. Firstly the performances were really strong - in particular Michelle Williams is utterly stunning and Christopher Plummer is absolutely excellent. But there is something about the film that is really absorbing, compelling and engrossing. The film is over two hours long, but I felt like I could have kept watching on and on. The scenes with Plummer are in no way jarring, and the visuals and cinematography are really good. The score is also brilliant. Overall All the Money in the World is a taut thriller worth seeing just for its fantastic performances.



3.) A Quiet Place (15) Directed by John Krasinski

A Quiet Place has been massively popular, but it should be made clear that this film is by no means flawless - it does have plot holes and no clear endgame. However, none of these issues detract from it being a clever, atmospheric and really tense film. And actually one of the most original horror films of recent years. The premise of a film predominantly without dialogue is absolutely brilliant, and the atmosphere in the cinema was so intense - no one dared to breathe too loudly or even move slightly. And it made for a great cinematic experience. I really liked the story as well, and the way that the film isn't an out and out horror film, but also a film about a family. A refreshing and original take on the genre, and I really, really enjoyed it. And the cast works together fantastically. All in all A Quiet Place is definitely one of this year's must see films.



2.) The Shape of Water (15) Directed by Guillermo Del Toro

The Shape of Water was this year's Best Picture Oscar recipient and is thoroughly deserving of it. Del Toro is a master at building fantasy worlds and The Shape of Water is no different. Every aspect of The Shape of Water is top notch - the visuals, cinematography, narrative, cast, and score are all excellent. And Del Toro has even thought about all the tiny details. As you notice these small, dark details seeping into the film, you really begin to appreciate his unique touch and skill as a filmmaker. The narrative is smooth and unfolds in a clear linear fashion, making the film effortlessly engaging and easy to watch. Overall The Shape of Water is like a dark fairy-tale for adults and I loved its unconventionality and originality. I have never seen a film quite like it before, and I can't imagine seeing another one like it any time soon.



1.) Avengers: Infinity War (12A) Directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo

For me, the biggest film of the year so far is also the best. I absolutely loved Infinity War! As I said earlier, I am a big Marvel fan so I was really looking forward to seeing Infinity War. The film had been so shrouded in secrecy and hyped up that I was worried that it could never live up to my expectations of it, but it did. It absolutely did. Firstly the performances and characters were great, I loved the script and the dialogue, and I laughed aloud several times. And the action was just non-stop brilliance, with some of the set pieces being so stunning that I couldn't quite believe my eyes. And to add to all of that, I just love that this film is a culmination of its eighteen predecessors and of ten years of filmmaking - its a fantastic achievement and is great for film and cinema. I have already seen this at the cinema three times and yet I can't wait to see it again, which is definitely the mark of a great film for me.

Special mentions: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - black comedy with fantastic performances.
Coco - Stunning animation from Pixar about the importance of family.
Darkest Hour - Career standout performance from Gary Oldman in an incredibly well-lit drama.
Love, Simon - A unique, touching and easy watch coming of age story.
Hereditary - A slow and strange film that stays with you long after the credits have rolled.
On Chesil Beach - A refreshingly honest take on relationships that has sublime performances.








Comments