Skip to main content

Mission: Impossible Fallout Review

Certificate: 12A
Running time: 148 minutes 
Directed by: Christopher McQuarrie


What’s it about: Ethan Hunt is back. This time, Ethan and his crew find themselves in a desperate race against time as they try to prevent weapons of mass destruction from falling into the wrong hands. But their mission is proved more difficult than ever, when they are faced with questions of loyalty and not knowing who they can trust.

The verdict: Although I’ve always liked the Mission Impossible films, I’ve never thought of myself as a big fan of the franchise. So with that thought in mind, I went to see Mission: Impossible Fallout with no particular expectations. Well the film blew me away, and I enjoyed it so much that it has inspired me to rewatch the previous films.

Mission: Impossible Fallout is an action packed, nonstop, thrilling adventure film and it’s just massively entertaining. It’s made of up insane set pieces and it’s relentless. It has a long running time,  but the pace is great - there are no lulls or parts that drag. If you’re the type of person who finds that they need to use the facilities during a film, then good luck! As you’ll be hard pushed finding a quieter or duller moment to nip out in!

The cast is great. I was slightly unsure of Henry Cavill’s casting when I first saw the trailers but he is brilliant in this, and I feel like this a role that I haven’t seen him in before so that was fun to watch. And all credit to Tom Cruise, he is inspiring as he throws himself into every stunt and every action sequence. And he’s probably the greatest actor ever at doing running scenes - there are some awesome scenes where he’s running across rooftops with The Shard in the distance.

I enjoyed the plot as well. It’s typical spy film fare, but there are enough twists and turns to keep the film really engaging. There were lots of moments where I was on the edge of my seat and I even gasped aloud at some points. From a technical point of view, there are some absolutely stunning shots and the score is excellent, I especially enjoyed the use of the classic Mission Impossible theme song throughout.

In terms of flaws, you could probably argue that the film isn’t necessarily that original and perhaps it won’t stand the test of time. However, I personally don’t think any of that is a problem. When you’re watching a big action blockbuster, you’re predominantly looking to be entertained. And Mission: Impossible Fallout is definitely entertaining.

Overall, Mission: Impossible Fallout is probably one of the best new releases I’ve seen this year. I had so much fun watching it. The action is incredible, at times heart-stopping, and it’s a blockbuster that lives up to its name.

Should you watch this film? Absolutely yes! If you’re looking to spend your hard earned money on a film to see at the cinema, then this is definitely the one. I waited to watch it in one of the cinema’s biggest screens and it looked awesome. So I’d recommend watching it in the biggest screen you can,

Comments