Skip to main content

Hubie Halloween Review


Certificate: 12

Running time: 102 minutes

Starring: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Julie Bowen, Ray Liotta, Naoh Schnapp

Directed by: Steven Brill

The story: Halloween loving Hubie finds himself with a spooky mystery to solve when strange events start happening in his town of Salem.

The verdict: If I am honest, thus far I have not particularly enjoyed any of the offerings that have been produced from the ten picture deal that Adam Sandler has with Netflix. Unfortunately, that trend has continued with Hubie Halloween.

To be fair to Sandler, I am not a massive fan of the type of comedy that he is known for. So with that in mind, perhaps I was never really going to like Hubie Halloween. For avid fans of Sandler, there is every chance that they may thoroughly enjoy this as it is classic Sandler - the silly voice, the fart jokes etc.

Lead character Hubie is the town misfit and treated appallingly by the townsfolk. He regularly has objects hurled at his head and is nicknamed 'Pubie' Whilst I know that this is a comedy and is therefore not meant to be taken seriously, I found the way that the character was treated really uncomfortable and not really very funny at all.

Nearly every joke landed flat for me, in general I found the whole film very unfunny. The whole storyline just seemed very odd and most of the characters were unbearable. Halfway through the film, I realised that I had mostly lost my engagement with it.

That being said, I did like a few things about Hubie Halloween. Firstly, the Halloween setting and seeing a wholly autumnal Salem was really cool - the film certainly does feel seasonal. I also enjoyed seeing Noah Schnapp in this. His character Tommy is one of the few likeable characters and I liked his storyline.

Hubie Halloween will have its share of fans. It is a cheesy, typical Sandler comedy with a host of comedic actors. But sadly, this was not a film for me. I found it too long, completely unfunny and I didn't really get anything from it at all.

The rating: ★★

Comments