Skip to main content

A Monster Calls Review

Certificate: 12A
Running time: 108 minutes
Directed by: J.A Bayona.

What's it about: A lonely boy named Connor is desperately trying to deal with being bullied at school, and his single Mum's diagnosis of Cancer. One night he finds himself calling upon a Monster to help him.

The verdict: This film is based upon the book by Patrick Ness, and is predominantly a young adult novel. But this film can be enjoyed by both adults and children - and I would highly recommend it for all ages.

There are aspects of both the real and unreal to this film - with elements of fairytales and the supernatural but also everyday issues that everyone can relate to.

It's shot well, and the CGI and animated parts add even more to the visuals. I felt like I was being told a beautiful bedtime story and I was engaged throughout. Before the film started, a group of rowdy teenagers came in and I felt my heart sink. But within five minutes of the film starting, they too were utterly drawn in and didn't say a word.

The characters had depth, and without a doubt I was completely rooting for them. Connor is played by relative newcomer Lewis MacDougall, and he particularly stood out with his performance. He is so relatable as someone dealing with some truly awful circumstances. It was also really great to see Sigourney Weaver as Connor's strict but well meaning Grandma.

There is some ambiguity to certain aspects of the film which was done very cleverly. It raises questions on the scope of our imagination and leaves the audience with interesting questions.

Lastly this film packed an emotional punch and I noticed a lot of people wiping away tears as they left. Personally I found myself in floods of tears, and needed five minutes to compose myself before leaving the cinema.

Should you watch this film? Yes. It's a great film that deals with life and loss. Definitely go and see this film!




Comments