Skip to main content

Top ten films of 2016


10.) Eye in the Sky (15)
I was expecting a typical warfare film, with nothing particularly new to say. What I actually got was a nail biting, tense and provocative film which raises questions on the morality of modern warfare. In particular the use of drones, and their consequences. There were moments when I was literally on the edge of my seat, and the acting was superb. This is such a relevant film for today's audience.

9.) Morgan (15)
This film received mixed reviews, most of them negative. However this was mostly due to unfair comparisons between it and Ex Machina. Morgan isn't Ex Machina but it isn't trying to be. If you take this film on its own merits, then it's a really engaging sci-fi. It's shot beautifully and I loved the ending. A lot of films are let down by their ending, but Morgan's ending manages to both satisfy and astound its audience.

8.) The Light Between Oceans (12A)
I wasn't bothered about seeing this film at all and I actually found myself a bit put out as I entered the screening. But it drew me in so much, and I found myself utterly engaged. The locations were beautiful and the two lead actors - Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander were brilliant. The story is captivating and there are important lessons to be learnt about love, life and loss. It has all the criteria to be an awards season contender.

7.) The Girl with all the Gifts (15)
I am not a big fan of horror and I am especially not a fan of zombies! But this film was a great, fresh take on the zombie genre. Scary in some parts but also throughly watchable. The characterisation was brilliant, and the ending packs a punch that will either enthrall or shock viewers. Taking into account the modest budget of four million pounds, and this film is even more impressive.





6.) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (12A)
As a massive Harry Potter fan , I have to include this. It was one of my most anticipated films of the year, and built up the excitement for months with a wonderful set of trailers. It has all the trappings of the magical feel of the Harry Potter universe, but is unique enough to feel different and special. Throw in the use of brilliant special effects and great characters, and it's a winner.

5.) Kubo and the Two Strings (PG)
Definitely the best animated film of the year. The stop motion animation is brilliantly done, and the story feels so original. It's an epic tale of courage, magic and love and it's told beautifully. Some parts of it were genuinely scary whilst other parts were heartbreaking. It was really engaging and I felt as though I'd learnt a bit more about life as I walked out of the cinema.

4.) Warcraft (12A)
Although a financial success at the box office, this film was slaughtered by critics and fans alike. Having no expectations and no prior knowledge, I went to see it with a completely open mind - and I loved it. Fantasy films can feel few and far between and Warcraft which was filled with orcs, magic and epic battles definitely satisfied my appetite for that. It was entertaining and easy to watch, and looked awesome on the big screen.





3.) Deadpool (15)
A Marvel film about an antihero was a risk, but Deadpool was brilliant. Risqué and funny, it combined great writing with awesome comic book action. Ryan Reynolds was perfect as the titular character and was supported by a strong cast. There was irony and pop culture gags throughout, and it worked perfectly.




2.) Room (15)
This film was such a wonderful surprise to me, I didn't expect it to be so touching and so brilliant. Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay take centre stage in the two lead roles and they both shine. In particular Jacob Tremblay, who is so convincing in his portrayal as Jack. It's heart wrenching and difficult to watch at times but it's ultimately uplifting and life affirming. I absolutely loved it.

1.) Doctor Strange (12A)
There may be an abundance of superhero films around at the moment, in particular Marvel films. But this offering from Marvel managed to make Doctor Strange feel original and fresh. Yet it also fit perfectly into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was witty, enjoyable and entertaining. And visually  it was great, especially the folding architecture. Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliantly cast and I can't wait to see him make more appearances in forthcoming Marvel films. Doctor Strange was a superb film to see at the cinema on a big screen.












Comments