Skip to main content

Assassin's Creed Review


Certificate: 12A
Running time: 115 minutes
Directed by: Justin Kurzel.


What's it about: Based on the popular game franchise, Assassin's Creed tells the story of Callum Lynch who discovers that he is the descendant of a master assassin. He soon becomes caught between two warring factions, each seeking a legendary artefact - 'The Apple of Eden.'

The verdict: I went to see this with no prior knowledge of the franchise, having never played the game. I wasn't sure what to expect but the trailers promised cool visuals and well choreographed fight scenes. I certainly got that, and the visuals were definitely the best part about the film. The use of parkour across both ancient and modern cities was also great to watch and was an added visual treat.

The performances were good, I think the actors did well with the material they were given. I always find Michael Fassbender incredibly watchable in everything he does. And Marion Cotillard brings a mesmerising presence to all her roles. Unfortunately great actors don't necessarily mean great characters, and this is where the film really didn't work for me. The characters felt so underdeveloped and I often felt as though I had no idea of their intentions or feelings. Sometimes I even struggled to work out who the bad guys were and who I was supposed to be rooting for. Michael Fassbender's character is given a backstory but it's so limited. As a result I didn't have any strong feelings on what he did - not great when this is the main character.

The other major problem for me was that I just couldn't take it seriously that the object everyone is fighting over is 'The Apple of Eden.' It sounded so corny every time someone said "Give me the apple" or "I want the apple." The idea behind it, which is explained in the film, is clever and I understand why it has the name. But it just made some of the climactic scenes a bit farcical.

Overall this is a film that will be enjoyable enough to pass a few hours, but it didn't live up to its potential as a great film to see in the cinema. Upon leaving the cinema, it was almost pretty much forgettable.

Should you watch this film? No. Unless you are a massive fan of the game, wait for the DVD.



Comments