Skip to main content

Beauty and the Beast Review

Certificate: PG
Running time: 129 minutes 
Directed by: Bill Condon.

What's it about: A live action remake of the 1991 animated film of the same name. Beauty and the Beast follows Belle as she is taken prisoner by a beast, in an enchanted castle. 

The verdict: Admittedly Beauty and the Beast isn't one of my favourite Disney films, but I do think it lends itself well to being adapted into a live action film. With that being said, I was looking forward to watching it.

Visually it's wonderful. There is the feeling of it being on a set, but the sets are so beautiful, you don't mind. The costumes are well done and well suited to the characters. And whilst the CGI may not be as jaw dropping as other films - it is good, and very watchable. 

The film is at its best when the musical set pieces are being played out. The cast come into their own then, and the numbers are fun and engaging. All the classics are there of course, but there are a few new songs as well.

The story is the same, but some extra plot points have been added. These relate to giving both Belle and the Beast more of a backstory regarding their families. I understand the possible reasons behind doing this, and differentiating this version from the original. However I felt these new plot points were completely unnecessary, and didn't essentially add much - apart from lengthening the running time. 

I found the performances slightly mixed. Everyone was good, but for me no one particularly stood out as great. Luke Evans and Josh Gad were probably the best for me - they were cast very well as Gaston and Lefou respectively. When Emma Watson was cast as Belle, a lot of people seemed to be disappointed in that choice. Unfortunately there were moments when her acting felt a little wooden. I'm pained to say this as I do like Emma Watson, but it felt like she was only hitting her marks, not exceeding them. I wonder if this was due to her direction or due to her? In any case, this meant that Belle as a character wasn't quite as loveable as her animated counterpart. 

Finally I have to address the controversy surrounding the so-called 'gay scene.' Ignoring all the reasons why this was even an issue in 2017, let me just say - blink and you'll miss it! I've actually heard some people say they weren't even sure what part was being referred to. And certainly no one could claim to be traumatised by it. It's such an utterly ridiculous issue that has been concocted in regards to this film, I'm starting to wonder if Disney themselves cooked it up to create a buzz! 

Overall Beauty and the Beast is an enjoyable film, but for me, it didn't quite live up to its potential.

Should you watch this film? Yes. It's worth seeing if you're a Disney fan, and looks good on the big screen. 


Comments