Skip to main content

Hidden Figures Review

Certificate: PG
Running time: 127 minutes 
Directed by: Theodore Melfi.

What's it about: The true life story of three incredible women who worked at NASA, and played a vital role in the race to space whilst dealing with the prejudices of the time. 

The verdict: One of the Oscar Best Picture nominees and a firm favourite during awards season - Hidden Figures has managed to capture audience's hearts, and minds. With that being said, I was really looking forward to seeing this film.

The cast is fantastic, Hidden Figures won The Screen Actor's Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture and it is throughly deserved. Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe shine as the film's protagonists but the supporting cast of Kevin Costner, Mahershala Ali, Kirsten Dunst and Jim Parsons to name just a few, is also great. The characters are warm and likeable, and you find yourself rooting for them and wanting them to succeed.

The fact that the story is based on real life events makes it even more interesting and compelling. It covers a little known part of NASA's history. I was ashamed that I had never heard of any of these women before, and I expect many others would say the same. Hidden Figures shines a light on these amazing women's contributions to science, which is important to both past and future generations. I have since read stories of Hidden Figures inspiring young girls to pursue science, which shows it's impact.

Although Hidden Figures doesn't boast any awe inspiring shots or big action scenes, it's still a great film because it's so watchable. I found myself smiling constantly. I felt invested in the characters and their lives, the performances were great and it was engaging throughout. But what I liked most about it, was its positive message and in turn how it made me feel as I was watching it. Hidden Figures is a warm, uplifting and inspiring film. For me there weren't any real negatives, but if I was pushed, I suppose that some people might find it slightly cheesy and unsubtle. But I enjoyed seeing a film that was based on real life events that didn't end in horror or tragedy.

Overall I loved Hidden Figures, it may not have won any Oscars but it is a wonderful film with a great message.

Should you watch this film? Yes! If you want to watch an uplifting and highly enjoyable film then Hidden Figures is perfect. 

Comments