Skip to main content

Get Out Review

Certificate: 15
Running time: 104 minutes 
Directed by: Jordan Peele.

What's it about: Chris, a young African-American, goes with his Caucasian girlfriend to meet her parents on their vast family estate. 

The verdict: This film has been making waves in America, as it resonates with issues currently being felt both socially and politically. Because of this, it has garnered a lot of attention and performed well at the box office. I thought the trailers for it were very effective, and although I was concerned it might be scary (I'm not a fan of scary films!), I was looking forward to seeing it. 

The opening scene was brilliant, setting the tone of the film perfectly and making the audience feel uneasy. I don't think I'll be able to listen to the song that was playing in the opening scene in the same way again! This great opening to the film also hooked you from the start.

The premise of the story is simple, a man going to meet his girlfriend's parents, but it worked well and set the frame for the story. I really enjoyed the first act as it built up the intrigue and tension as Chris meets his girlfriend's family, and you realise something seems off. The pacing of the film is very strong, there are no parts that drag and you feel engaged throughout.

The performances were very good as well. Daniel Kaluuya is great as the down to earth guy who becomes caught up in the events that unfold. I also enjoyed seeing Allison Williams, who plays Chris's girlfriend Rose and is best know for her role in Girls, playing a different character. I thought that they worked well together as a couple, and were relatable. I wasn't expecting any comedy, but Lil Rel Howery provides some comic relief in his role as Chris's best friend. 

The film fell down slightly for me in the case of the main reveal, where you discover what's really going on. Although a clever and sinister concept it was also, in my opinion, a bit silly. The climax of the film was also slightly rushed compared to the slow buildup in the earlier scenes. In this way, I felt the third act was the weakest.

However, overall I really enjoyed Get Out. It's an original concept that I haven't seen before. Also considering that this film is the directorial debut of Jordan Peele and had a modest budget - it's even more impressive.

Should you watch this film? Yes. A tense and original take on the age old story of meeting the parents.


Comments