Skip to main content

Logan Review


Certificate: 15
Running time: 137 minutes 
Directed by: James Mangold.

What's it about: In the not so distant future, a disillusioned and tired Logan cares for an ailing Charles Xavier. However his attempt to hide from the world is challenged when he discovers a young mutant, who desperately needs their help.

The verdict: I am a massive X-men fan and so I went to see this with both high hopes, and trepidation. This was to be Wolverine's swan song, and I was curious to see how it would play out. Firstly the decision to make this film grittier and less family friendly has definitely paid off. Wolverine has always been a character with the potential to be dark and perhaps have a more mature film with him at the centre, and in 'Logan' we finally get to see that. There is nudity, insane amounts of violence, blood splatters and plenty of swearing. Even mild mannered Professor X gets in on the swearing, and I must admit there was some satisfaction in hearing him say the f word.

There is nothing to criticise when it comes to Hugh Jackman, his performance as Wolverine has always been brilliant and he continues in that form. After all he's been playing this character for eighteen years. The same can be said for Patrick Stewart - he's Professor X through and through. There was actually something sad in seeing his portrayal of Charles Xavier as ill and forgetful, which only goes to show how convincing he is, and his skill. The rest of the cast was also strong, Dafne Keen will be one to watch in the future. And actually the lack of a big ensemble cast made 'Logan' stronger, because we got to concentrate on the core characters and they had more room for development.

I really enjoyed the visuals in this film, the colour palette was very good. The scenes in the desert were dusty and authentic, and the scenes in the forest were natural and striking. The fight scenes are fast, furious and violent, and at points I found myself cringing - but the brutality of them worked really well because it set the tone of the film. I also thought the story was very strong, it was simple and clever but completely engaging. At one point, I remember thinking "I could watch this film all day." I had wondered if the running time might be too long, but it was perfect.

The ending appeared to divide some members of the audience in the screening I went to, I did hear some groans of disbelief. However I believe that was due to the fact that we have now said goodbye to a well loved character - at least this incarnation of him. There is one scene in particular that is really moving and visually like a punch in the gut. I think you'll know what I mean when you see it! Overall 'Logan' was brilliant - more of an anti superhero film with aspects of dystopia. I throughly enjoyed it!



Should you watch this film? Yes!! Especially if you're a fan of the X-men films - this is a must!


Comments