Skip to main content

Palm Springs Review

 


Certificate: 15

Running time: 90 minutes 

Starring: Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti, Meredith Hagner, JK Simmons

Directed by: Max Barbakow 

The story: Two wedding guests become trapped in the same time loop.

The verdict: We have had to wait a long time for the U.K release of Palm Springs - hearing about this film and waiting for its release almost felt like an infinite time loop in itself. But finally it landed on streaming services today.

There have been many time loop films and they can be quite divisive for some audiences who feel that it is hard to bring something new to the subgenre. I must admit that I love a time loop film and have enjoyed the majority of the films that address it. A time loop story can lend itself to any genre and comedy is no different.

What I really enjoyed about Palm Springs is that it a not necessarily about anything ‘big.’ By that I mean that it is not focused on the science of the time loop or even the how and why. Rather the story is very much focused on the people at the centre of it and how they approach the situation that they find themselves in. And how they approach it is secretly how I think a lot of us would - namely drink a lot of beer, have a lot of sex and pretty much do what we want just to see what happens.

I really liked Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti in this, I think that they have good chemistry and great comic timing together. I also really liked JK Simmons’ character who adds another dynamic.

Palm Springs isn’t a film that’s going to change your life but it is a very enjoyable ninety minutes and the perfect film for these tough times - I’d watch it again (and again and again and again etc)

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Comments