Skip to main content

Promising Young Woman Review

 


Certificate: 15

Running time: 113 minutes 

Starring: Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Jennifer Coolridge

Directed by: Emerald Fennell

The story: A woman seeks revenge against those she believes are responsible for a heinous crime. 

The verdict: I cannot remember the last time that I cheered on an anti heroine or anti hero as much as I did during this film. Some might completely disagree with that sentiment but I find that I cannot seem to care too much. Sadly, I recognised so much of the toxic and disgraceful behaviour exhibited by most of the men in this film and even more sadly I have seen up close in real life of how devastatingly this behaviour can affect women, so yes I am #teamcassie all the way.

Every film is made up of a number of components, both creative and technical and when you find something great about almost every component then that’s when you know that you have a great film on your hands. That’s exactly how I felt whilst watching Promising Young Woman. 

The film is an amazing piece film of work by Emerald Fennell, who wrote, directed and produced the film and whose talent seems to know no bounds. The screenplay is really well constructed and the film is really well directed. And it is all enhanced by a fun and surprising soundtrack. 

The central performance from Carey Mulligan is brilliant and shows again what a talented actress she is. I loved the different shades shown in her character. She is angry, she is sad, she is forgiving, she is vengeful - it felt like a very real character to me and I think exactly how a person would feel in those circumstances. 

Promising Young Woman has proved to be a controversial film given its subject and the rape revenge sub genre that it falls into. I cannot help but feel glad that it is a provocative film - yes let’s examine this subject and see why it so strikes a chord. Let’s discuss these things, let’s make audiences uncomfortable because these things are real. 

I found myself vehemently nodding during a lot of this and I connected with this film on both a personal and creative level - a more than worthy Best Picture nominee.

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️



Comments