Skip to main content

Sound of Metal Review

 


Certificate: 15

Running time: 120 minutes 

Starring: Riz Ahmed, Olivia Cooke, Paul Raci 

Directed by: Darius Marder

The story: A heavy metal drummer finds his life in free fall when he loses his hearing.

The verdict: The Sound of Metal is yet another film that I have been eagerly awaiting the U.K release of and so I could not wait to watch it as soon as it was available. 

The Sound of Metal is a film that I wish so much that I could have seen in the cinema. It is such an immersive film and I know that would have only been intensified with the big screen experience. 

As soon as the film opened, I was transported into the story and I felt almost as if I became the lead character Ruben. Throughout the film, I felt every emotion and feeling that he felt and I felt it strongly - his frustration, his isolation, his anger. This was largely due to Riz Ahmed’s performance. No wonder he has attracted so much awards’ attention, this is a stellar performance and certainly worthy of recognition. 

But the technical elements of this film must also be praised too as the sound design is incredible and enhances the audience’s experience because we also experience the loss of sound, the wall of silence. The film really educates the audience on the deaf community and what it might mean to lose your hearing. In that way I feel that The Sound of Metal is not only a great film but an important one.

The Sound of Metal was engaging, thought provoking and most definitely worth the wait. As the credits rolled, I had tears in my eyes - I think this one will stay with me for a long time.

The rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Comments